You are in the CarrTracks website Picture Gallery.
The Illinois Central completed a route from Chicago to Cairo, IL in 1856. After the Civil War the IC worked out several trackage rights agreements with other railroads in Kentucky and Tennessee to eventually reach New Orleans in 1873. Through additional trackage rights, the IC extended its reach south from Fulton to Birmingham, AL in 1906. To bypass the congestion at Cairo, the IC constructed a line south from Edgewood, IL to Fulton in 1928. This made Fulton a major cross road on the IC for traffic between Chicago, and St Louis to the north and New Orleans and Birmingham to the south. The IC merged with the Gulf Mobile and Ohio in 1972 to form the Illinois Central Gulf.
ICG 8742 and 8301 rest by the sand tower at Fulton, KY on May 2, 1986. The GM&O and IC merged to form Illinois Central Gulf in August 1972. During 1986 the railroad shed many of its unproductive branch lines to get down to a profitable core system.
Engine 8346 switches at the south end of the yard. Disk 121