These articles cover day to day freight operations on the Santa Fe, Union Pacific, Rio Grande, MKT, MP and train symbol histories on the Burlington Northern and Southern Pacific. This information is taken from a large collection of railroad employee timetables, manifest schedules, dispatcher reports, and blocking books. As time permits, I hope to place more of this information here.
The most recent additions are the Santa Fe and Southern Pacific signal histories. Top entries below. I've also added a comparison tool to the 14 page guide to watching trains on the Flagstaff railcam. This information could also be helpful when viewing the other rail cameras at Belen, Barstow, Tehachapi, and Lugo on Cajon Pass.
Santa Fe signal history.
Southern Pacific signal history.
ATSF Freight Train Consists from the late 60s
Santa Fe's Hot 27
Rio Grande Coal Train Symbols
Burlington Northern Freight Train Symbol History
Burlington Northern Santa Fe
- Freight Train Schedules - AZ and NM
- 2012 Z and Q Train Schedules
- Coal Trains in Early 1998
- Freight Train Symbol History
- Piggyback Brochure
- Hydra-Cushion Brochure
- Freight Car Brochure
Western Railroad Signal Survey 1931
Telegraph and Telephone Dispatching Survey 1931
A Day on the CNW in 1992
A Day on the MKT in 1987
A Day on the Union Pacific in 1987
The following pages are helpful when reading A Day on the Union Pacific.
UP Roster and UP Train Symbols
Union Pacific Crew Calls in 2011 is a collection of data from various terminals around the system.
Family roots and Wadley, GA (slow)
The following article was written for model railroaders:
Realistic Names for Your Model Trains, Towns, and Industries
Railroad Served Industries
- Auto Assembly Plants
- Banana Industry a short history
- Beer & Wine Industry history and production statistics
- Cement Industry history and production statistics
- Chemicals Industry history and production statistics
- Corn Sweeteners Industry history and production statistics
- Ethanol Industry history and production statistics
- Fertilizer Industry history and production statistics
- Grain Industry history and production statistics
- Grain and Food Industry companies and production
- Idaho Potatoes history and production statistics
- International Container Traffic and Port Statistics
- Meatpacking and Rendering Industry history and production
- Oil Refinery and Plastics Industry history and production
- Plastics Industry production statistics
- Potash Industry history and production statistics
- Soybean Industry history and production statistics
- Sugar Industry history and production statistics
- Vegetable Oil Industry history and production statistics
E-mail comments to
john underscore carr at wycliffe dot org
My email server blocks email messages infected with possible viruses. I am getting several messages a day telling me that an email has been blocked due to a potential virus. If I have not responded to an email you sent me, its possible that the server blocked your message. Try running your virus protection software and then send the message again or try sending the email from a different computer. I try to answer all emails within 24 hours.