You are in the CarrTracks website Picture Gallery.

Burlington-Rock Island
train picture gallery

In order to extend its system from Fort Worth to Houston and Galveston, the Colorado and Southern bought the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway Company on August 1, 1905, and subsequently sold one-half interest to the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway Company. The Trinity and Brazos Valley had been chartered on October 6, 1902, and by early 1904 had a line operating between Cleburne and Mexia. The Trinity and Brazos Valley completed its line from Mexia to Houston and from Teague to Waxahachie in 1907. Trackage rights were secured from the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway Company of Texas between Waxahachie and Dallas, and from the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe between Cleburne and Fort Worth. Trackage rights to downtown Houston were over the Houston Belt & Terminal, and then to Galveston over the Galveston, Houston, & San Antonio. In 1914 the MKT with the Texas and Brazos Valley installed signals on 31 miles of line between Dallas and Waxahatchie. After bankruptcy in 1930 it was reorganized as the Burlington-Rock Island Railroad. Management of the BRI alternated in 5 year intervals starting with the Rock Island. The original railroad was abandoned in sections Cleburne to Hillsboro in 1932, Hillsboro to Hubbard in 1935, and finally Hubbard to Mexia in 1942. The BRI was merged into the Fort Worth and Denver and the Rock Island in 1965. All of the pictures in this series are on disk 96.

Engineer on Rock Island Extra 4798 East picks up train orders at Waxahachie

North Zulch
Reagor Springs
BRI Junction
Tower 19

← Gallery