You are in the CarrTracks website Picture Gallery.
This index contains many railroad pictures from Virginia.
Here is a little signal history on some of the major railroads in Virginia. The Atlantic Coast Line added 147 signals from Richmond to Pleasant Hill (one mile south of NC state line) on double track in 1914. In 1919, the N&W planned to install a 10 lever electo-pneumatic interlocker at Bridge 7 and a 12 lever electo-pneumatic interlocker at Bridge 5 in South Norfolk. In 1925 US&S installed 454 US&S color light signals on the SAL from Richmond to Hamlet 235 miles of single track and 19 miles of double track. In 1930 RF&P order US&S equipment to install an elecro-pnumatic interlocker at Doswell. A 19 lever model 14 machine. The N&W installed US&S CTC between Petersburg and Evergreen in 1940. The N&W installed US&S CTC between Radford, VA and Bristol 107 miles in 1946. The machine was in Roanoke. At the time the line had 10 passenger and 14 freight trains per day. N&W ordered US&S CTC for Petersburg to Jack and planned to replace the mechanical interlocking at Jack. This would be controlled from Crewe. The control of the earlier CTC from Jack to Poe (the bypass) was moved to Crewe in early 1950. In 1951 RF&P was in the process of signal improvements, installation of US&S CTC and cab signals from Alexandria to Richmond 107 miles. Improvements included changing from standard double track to bi-directional running on either track and respacing signals. In 1955, the N&W handled 925,916 cars of coal out of the Appalachian Range: 416,662 cars went west and 529,254 went east. Around 1958, the ACL and Atlantic & Danville replaced the mechanical interlocking at Emporia, VA with an automatic interlocker. It was estimated that the closing of an interlocking tower save the railroad a little more than $20,000 a year. In 1956, the C&O was the first railroad to install a Servo hot box detector. The detector was at Norge, VA.. In 1957, C&O began planning for CTC from the Hampton Roads Transfer to Lee Hall, VA on 18 miles of double track to operate in either direction on either track. The project was completed in 1960. In 1959, the N&W was replacing amber lenses in its position light signals for green and red lenses. In 1960, the N&W installed CTC Burkeville to Pamplin 36 miles. The control machines was at Crewe. It also installed CTC Forest to Montvale and planned CTC from Phoebe to Pamplin 34 miles. In 1960, the Southern Railway installed CTC for Orange to Bristow 48 miles for bi-directional running on either track. The control machine was at Alexandria. Work included the installation of 16 power switches and 76 signals. It also planned to extend CTC another 48 miles from Bristow to Montpelier on double track.